Sunday, May 22, 2011

Easter 2011

Even though Easter has long come and gone, I thought I would go ahead and recap our holiday anyways.  A couple of Saturdays before Easter we were able to take the kids to a wonderful Easter event on base.  It was held on the lawn of the commander's home and included many events such as easter egg hunts, raffles, bouncy houses, arts and crafts, and games.  Tayscen and Brixlyn were able to be in the same group for the egg hunt and they both had a great time!  Brixlyn loved going around and finding the eggs to put in her bucket.  Braylei was in an older group but didn't mind one bit going out by herself.  We were fortunate enough to meet up with some of our friends who are also in the residency program, and the kids loved getting to spend time playing with their friends.












During the following week, we also colored eggs as a family.  While I got the eggs ready, the kids had a fun time entertaining themselves in our playhouse.  When it was time, we all headed outside to paint eggs on the driveway.  The kids decided they wanted to paint them rather than dye them, which proved to be a lot of fun!  Everyone had a great time making the eggs unique in their own way.  This was Brixlyn's first time coloring eggs and boy did she go to town.  I'm not sure if the eggs or her ended up with more paint on them by the end of the night:)  After everyone was done, we all enjoyed playing outside together, riding bikes, playing on the swingset, and coloring with sidewalk chalk.






























On the Friday before Easter, Braylei had the day off from school, but unfortunately Jeremy was on call and had to work.  The kids and I spent the day making homemade sugar cookies, complete with homemade frosting.  The kids had a great time measuring the ingredients out, turning the mixer on, cutting the cookies out, and of course frosting them!  I had recently found some really neat edible markers that allowed you to draw on baked goods and decorate them too.  All of the kids had a ball using these and then of course eating their hard days work!











On Easter Sunday, Jeremy had to work again, but only for half of the day.  The kids were so excited to see what the Easter Bunny had brought them and raced around the house finding all of the little goodies that were hidden, which they insisted on doing before we even ate breakfast.  It was so much fun to see their little faces alight with so much excitement, but we really missed having Jeremy around for the celebration.  Tayscen was so excited that he had gotten his first chocolate bunny, that he paid little attention to anything else.  He kept saying over and over how all he ahd wanted from the Easter Bunny was a chocolate bunny of his own; it was so cute! After everyone had a chance to look at their treats, the kids and I had a wonderful breakfast and then got ready for church.  The girls had matching dresses that my wonderful mother had made and Tayscen had a matching tie.  They all looked so cute and we got so many compliments on their clothes.  Brix was so cute when we were trying to take a few pictures before church, and kept saying "cheese" and putting her hands up in the air.  I can't believe how grown up they all are!
























After church. Jeremy was able to come home and I made our first official Easter dinner.  Jeremy had invited an incoming intern couple and their in-laws over for dinner, so I really felt the pressure;)  I made a honey baked ham, homemade whole wheat lion house dinner rolls, garlic mashed potatoes, a honey-lime fruit salad, and a chef's salad complete with bacon and croutons.  Everything turned out wonderful and for dessert we had heath bar cake, per Jeremy's request.  It sure was a lot of work, but was really nice to have such wonderful people in our home to celebrate one of the most glorious times of the year.  Before everyone went to bed, we also were able to do an egg hunt in our own backyard!  The kids had a great time finding the eggs!











We ended our holiday celebration by again discussing the true reason we celebrate Easter with our kids, like we had done for the past two weeks leading up to Easter.  It was so touching to hear each of my kids testify of the Savior and his resurrection in his/her own words/way.  What better example of our Savior, then the simple testimony of a child.  I know that our Savior lives and died for each one of us so that we may repent and be forgiven of our sins.  Without him, there would be no possible way for us to return to our Heavenly Father.  I am so grateful for his sacrifice and for his atonement that makes up for all my shortcomings in life.      

No comments:

Post a Comment